Friday, August 28, 2009

The Ideal Kitchen


How would you design your kitchen if you were starting from scratch? Everyone always mentions more cabinet space, but it's important that you can actually REACH the added cabinets. So often we see kitchens with cabinets and shelves to the ceiling...not very practical unless you always keep your ladder at hand. I think I'd prefer an island or peninsula with more cabinet space underneath. It would also be nice to have some open shelving for cookbooks and recipe boxes.
I'd definitely want an eat-in area. Everyone always congregates in the kitchen, and it's great to pull up a stool to watch the chef cook or to read a magazine while waiting for the water to boil. If you have kids, the kitchen counter will be where they do homework, play games, or grab a bite to eat before soccer practice.
I'd want a nice, oversized sink with a gooseneck faucet to fill and clean those big pots and pans. I'd also make sure my sink, oven/range, and refrigerator were in the traditional triangle within a few steps of each other.
I would want lots of lighting including undercabinet lighting where possible. I'd go with hardwood flooring because I've found it's easy to clean and easy on the feet and legs when working in the kitchen. And, of course, I'd include a wine rack!
As I move beyond the kitchen basics, I'd include a small desk with several drawers. Even though I rarely sit at the desk in my kitchen, the phone is on the desk, and this area serves as a perfect clutter-keeper for mail, business cards, phone books, prescriptions, and post-it notes. Pens, pencils, scissors, tape, batteries, nail clippers, and coupons are stashed in the desk drawers. Another nearby drawer stores a hammer, screwdriver, tape measure, and odd screws and nails.
In or near the kitchen, I'd want a pantry. Cleaning supplies, paper products, oversized bowls and baskets, garbage bags, and buckets need to be nearby. Ideally, the pantry would be between the garage and the kitchen as a convenient drop-off point as you come into the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment